Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Devaluation of the Dong

From a global trade perspective, its hard to take a country seriously when their currency is called "the Dong".

"That's 20,000 dong, thanks"

"That's a lot of dong"

"Can I borrow your dong?"

The use of the word "dong" is like having a giggle at the back of the class when you first hear the word "sex" at school. Dong, dong, dong. Would half a dong be a ding?

Vietnam decided that it was struggling on the global trade scene due to the GFC, so 2 days ago it "devalued the dong" by a further 5% (as if it wasn't devalued enough already by the sheer stupidity of its name - dong). So hallelujah, I'm off to go and hit the Vietnamese markets, with a wad of dong in my pocket ("is that your dong in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?")

Jokes aside, I plan to come on back to Australia carrying everyone's christmas presents --- from Vietnam. Exotic, right? I mean, if Nike and Addidas can outsource the making of these products to Vietnam, surely I can cut the first, second and middle man out of the equation and buy direct. Right?

Ho hum. Capitalism. And for the next 2 days, I expect that because of the colour of my skin, I shall be dubbed "Bill"...as in, first name Dollar, last name Bill. You can understand why Westerners get hounded and hassled and heckled constantly, when the Government goes and devalues the currency even further than it already is.

All jokes aside, I expect I am in for a real cultural treat. This is what its all about, ladies and gents. 5am starts, budget airlines and crammed asian seating arrangements all for the benefit of opening my eyes up to the world as much as possible.

Wish me luck, kids!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment