Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back on the Bike



I thought about what my opening sentence was going to be for this blog and I thought that it would be along the lines of "I completely forgot what it felt like to be back on the bike." The only problem is that I hadn't forgotten what it felt like to be on the bike. This is what was so hard about the last eight weeks. I knew that the legs would feel great as they turned over and over, clocking up the miles. I knew that my body felt natural and powerful when riding. I knew exactly how much I enjoyed doing it. It is just that my body wouldn't allow me to do it. I had to be patient and I needed to fight the temptation of jumping on too soon. I had to make sure I was able to withstand the pressure on my back.
Well, this morning, eight weeks almost to the day of the horse riding accident, I jumped back on my bike and it felt good. I can't truly describe the feeling of being on a bike. It's a feeling like no other. It makes all of my worries disappear. When I get on the bike, my mind clears completely and I am focused. It is, as Lance Armstrong famously said, all about the bike.
Today, I rode for three and a half hours. Not solidly, but at a decent pace, stopping every now and then to drink, or sit and watch the activities around me. It was hot and I managed to re-gain my cycling jersey tan line (or freckle line) but most importantly, the legs (and back) felt as though it had only been yesterday since I rode, rather than two months ago.
I hope to get out again tomorrow for another ride. Mile by mile, I will get my fitness back...

3 comments:

  1. So glad to see you are back on your bike. Life is almost perfect. Take it easy. Over doing it would put you back. Take care Joy S

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome news! i hope you continue to have great rides - i know you'll be back in tip top shape in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin Good, so far, nice easy pace then you will be back in no time. Please tell me there are no Tri-athlons this side of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete