Saturday, May 9, 2009

Christian Lacroix - The Master Costumier

"I have always been attracted to costume design and possibly even before i started fashion design. This comes from a passion for history that has been with me since childhood, within my imaginative universe and the games I played. I have always enjoyed searching the historical truths or restoring them by designing scenery, furniture and costumes.

Theatre has become much more than a recreation, as this art cannot bear mediocrity nor lack of passion."


- Christian Lacroix, Costumier



Today, I attended the Christian Lacroix exhibition at the National Museum of Singapore. It is only in Singapore for a month or so, so I wanted to see it while it was still here.

Wow. What an exhibition! I am hoping the photographs speak for themselves, but if you are not aware of who Christian Lacroix, he is a French fashion designer and costumier who has designed costumes for world renowed operas, ballets and theatre shows, including Carmen, Romeo & Juliet, Il Re Pastore, and Othello.


You can see that, throughout his career, his costumes have been influenced by the gypsy heritage and bullfighting in the southern parts of france. There are a lot of deep velvets, mixed with chiffon, voile, tulle, tafettas, silk and duchess satin.

It really was a magnificent exhibition.

Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.



























































































































































































































































































































































1 comment: