Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Drive Through the Cotswolds

When I was young, I dreamed of the Cotswolds. The romantic country lanes, the thatch roofs, the streams that ran between villages and under bridges.

Well, towards the end of our stay, I kindly asked the Boy to drive me to the Cotswolds. If I wasnt going to get romance in Venice or Florence, I was going to try for romance in the Cotswolds.

Romantic....well, there was nothing more romantic than me sitting in the drivers seat while the Boy pushed the shiny black Jaguar out of the snow. Yes, we became stuck in snow. On a couple of occasions. Nevertheless, we also saw some sights of England that we will never forget.

Snow, snow, and more snow.



People in the Cotswolds were so snow bound, they had not moved their cars in days, maybe weeks.


Villages were desolate.


Tractor drivers and snow ploughs were the only businesses running.



Many roads were inaccessible.



But it still made for beautiful photography.




It was like a soft white blanket, covering England....



Some people (and dogs) braved the weather.


But for the most part, no one was to be seen in many of the passing villages.



Snow, snow and more snow.



Snow on the graves, snow on the Church.


Snow on the thatched roofs.


Snow on the freeways! Dangerous!


No comments:

Post a Comment